About the Texas RoadRunners
College Station is a city in central Texas, located in Brazos County 95 miles northwest of Houston and 105 miles northeast of Austin. It is served by five principal highways: Texas State Highways 6, 30, 40, 47, and 308. Neighboring cities include Bryan, Wixon Valley, Snook, Navasota, Somerville, Anderson, Caldwell, and Hearne.
The history of College Station very much coincides with the history of its main institution, Texas A&M University. Established in 1876, the University became the first state institution of higher education in the state of Texas. The university's isolation prompted school administrators to provide facilities as part of the college infrastructure, resulting in the development of a community centered around the campus. By 1877, the Post Office had come to designate the area "College Station," based on the name of the train stop adjacent to the growing community. The university and its surrounding community proceeded to develop hand-in-hand, and in 1938 a petition requesting incorporation was presented to the Board of Directors of Texas A&M. On October 19, 1938 citizens voted overwhelmingly to incorporate the city of College Station, and the following year the first City Council meeting of the newly-incorporated city was held in the Administration Building on the A&M campus.
College Station is home to the George Bush Presidential Library, which opened in 1997. The library and its associated museum are located on the southwest corner of the Texas A&M University campus.
Arts, Culture, and Entertainment in College Station
There are many activities to enjoy in the College Station area. Some of the more interesting include:
- Wolf Pen Creek Park and Amphitheater: The park offers a variety of outdoor recreation and the amphitheater offers outdoor concerts, festivals, and plays
- Adamson Lagoon: A family-oriented water park that includes several water slides, water basketball, a lily pad walk, and tube rentals
- Messina Hof Winery & Resort
- George Bush Presidential Library and Museum
- Benjamin Knox Gallery: Features works of the most well known artist in College Station and its surrounding areas.
- The Children's Museum of the Brazos Valley
- Texas A&M Sports Museum
- The Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History
The city of Houston is less than a two-hour drive away.